Tuesday 10 August 2010

SARO Princess in a 1/72nd scale kit - a reality! Honest..!!

Well, I never thought I would be writing these words - ever...! So, I shall say this v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y, there exists a 1/72nd scale kit of the SARO Princess flying boat. There, I said it, at last.....Wow.
Actually, it's a vac-form kit from the USA and here is the proof:



Flying Boat modelmaker extrodinaire Jim Lund, also from the USA, has just sent me these two pictures he took of his latest project and I must admit I would love one myself! What a project to get your teeth into over the coming winter and what a size this will be when finished. Some say that the good o'l days for vac-forms are over but I'm not one that transcribes to that theory. I love vac-forms as they often allowed me to construct scale models of flying boats, some of which are only now being kitted and that's over 20 years later than when I built the first one by this method! So, they have their place in our modeling world.


Also, they allow me to get much deeper into the details of the craft I was building at the time as I had to do the research myself as often the instructions were simply to vague; that led to more research of the actual craft and around it all went in an ever decreasing circle until the model was built. So, I for one welcome the chance to pit my modeling skills against a massive vac-form kit such as this, complete with all the vagaries it offers the modeler such as size, dimensions, accuracy, detail, scratchbuilding etc - fantastic value for money I'd say. As Jim say's: "What you see is what you get. No props, resin or white metal and no decals. I welcome this kit because I only build in 1/72, and its an important flying boat needed in my collection. An experienced vacform builder will have a wonderful time with this kit. I hope to have mine completed sometime this year".

"You also get a set of 1/72 plans. You do not get the magazine in the picture"!


Price $75 U.S. Plus post and packing. Contact Mike Herrill at email address mandmherrill@verizon.net  Bear in mind that that is the price in the USA - for the UK & Europe it will cost more. Contact Mike for details direct.


Regards, SEAWINGS

No comments: